Mon Dec 12 2011

The best gift you can give a writer

Space. Patience. Faith.

(Okay, that’s 3, but I think they all go together.)

Not your advice. Not articles about Amanda Hocking. Not a subscription to the New Yorker.

More than a Macbook or a Moleskine, those 3 things are what your writer needs from you.

And from themselves.

filed Reading/Writing
  1. Emy Shin says:
    Mon Dec 12 2011 at 10:13 PM

Simple but so very true.

2. T. S. Bazelli says:
    Tue Dec 13 2011 at 1:54 AM

The best gifts don’t come in boxes. :)

3. Rachele Alpine says:
    Tue Dec 13 2011 at 5:35 AM

I love your list! And I’m lucky I get all three from my husband. My puppy might be another story with space, but she’s so cute, I can’t resist! I think you may need to add candy and coffee to that list! :)

4. Vaughn says:
    Tue Dec 13 2011 at 9:11 AM

True dat! Thanks for saying it.

Tue Dec 13 2011 at 9:30 AM

So true. As always, the best and most important gifts are never ones we can actually hold, but the ones that envelop us :)

(Though … a MacBook sounds REALLY amazing!)

Tue Dec 13 2011 at 10:09 AM

I wish I could write brilliant 5-sentence posts like this. Then maybe I’d get some writing done! :) Wonderful advice!

Tue Dec 13 2011 at 10:51 AM

Very true! Sometimes a writer has to do more than give these things to themselves though. They must *take* them, and that can be hard.

Tue Dec 13 2011 at 10:54 AM

Shari-
    Oh, it IS. It most definitely is. Lol.

Meghan-
    More like I HAD to write a 5-line post because I ran out of time. I’m glad it turned out to be a good 5 lines though!

Sonje-
    +1. Like. Retweet.

9. Les says:
    Tue Dec 13 2011 at 11:30 AM

Really, those are good gifts for anyone in any profession lol.

Tue Dec 13 2011 at 12:44 PM

So true. The best things in life are free, but they always come at some cost.

11. Amanda Kendle says:
    Tue Dec 13 2011 at 4:33 PM

Very true. As a writer who is also a parent, I might add one though: TIME!

Merry Christmas from Oz :-)

Wed Dec 14 2011 at 11:33 AM

Les-
    True, although I think some need it more than others.

Jon-
    Also true.

Amanda-
    Hehe, I had “time” in there at first, instead of “faith,” but it seemed synonymous with patience.

13. Pseudo says:
    Thu Dec 15 2011 at 1:42 AM

Ahhhhhhh I would love to have more of all three of those in my life.

14. Danya says:
    Fri Dec 16 2011 at 10:19 AM

Just wanted to say, thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting! I’m so glad to hear that you like my New Adult challenge :) I also hope we can convince publishers to take a chance on New Adult lit!

15. Joelle Wilson says:
    Sat Dec 17 2011 at 2:14 PM

The best gifts ever. :)

16. Julia says:
    Fri Dec 30 2011 at 8:17 PM

You forgot soup. And caffeine. Two other important ingredients when writing.

Sat Dec 31 2011 at 9:16 PM

Danya-
    *crosses fingers*

Julia-
    You know, I don’t drink much of either of those… Maybe “food and drink of choice” should be included, though.

$1.99 at Amazon, B&N, iTunes, Sony, Kobo, Smashwords