Mon Apr 16 2012

Don’t ask about the pineapple

Yo: I’m giving away 2 copies of TWENTY-SOMEWHERE on That Hapa Chick’s blog as part of the “All Things Asian” celebration. It’s an honor to join in the festivities, and the interview was a lot of fun. It includes 2 pictures of me as a kid, with bonus embarrassing hat!

Andy and I spent this past weekend back in Pittsburgh. It’s where we went to college, where we met, where we fell in love. The city is a beautiful mix of brick, metal, and glass — of old and new — of buildings short and tall, all standing shoulder to shoulder, dotting the hillsides. Nearly a dozen bridges lace back and forth across the river, and on a clear night, the downtown lights shine like fireflies.

(Unfortunately I didn’t get any good pictures of the skyline, so you’ll have to take my word on all this.)

It was nice to visit again, after so many years. But also weird. The trip stirred up a lot of feelings and memories, both good and not-so. I’m not even sure how to put it all into words… so for now, I’ll use photos and focus on the good.

The food — Pamela’s, Primanti Bros, Fuel & Fuddle, Coca Cafe

Marci & Teo's wedding 005

Marci & Teo's wedding 037

The fun — Penguins playoff game, the Toonseum

Marci & Teo's wedding 031

Marci & Teo's wedding 046

The fabulous — two of my dearest friends getting married to each other

Marci & Teo's wedding 153

Marci & Teo's wedding 165

Marci & Teo's wedding 189

Marci & Teo's wedding 170

filed Personal, Photos
  1. mandy says:
    Mon Apr 16 2012 at 3:47 PM

d’awww!

But I really do wanna know about the pineapple.

2. Joelle Wilson says:
    Mon Apr 16 2012 at 3:58 PM

Okay…but I’m very intrigued now. Pineapple? lol Great pics and it looks like you had a great time.

3. T. S. Bazelli says:
    Mon Apr 16 2012 at 4:11 PM

I had to look twice to spot it! :D That sandwich looks amazing too.

Mon Apr 16 2012 at 4:43 PM

It sounds – and looks – like a lovely trip! And you know, even though you didn’t get any skyline pictures, you describe it so beautifully, it’s like being there and seeing it in person :)

5. Rachele Alpine says:
    Mon Apr 16 2012 at 5:52 PM

That’s a great picture of you and Andy! I only live about 90 minutes from Pittsburgh, and I’ve only been there once. For about two hours while we shopped at Ikea. I keep telling my husband that we need to spend some time there!

6. Trisha says:
    Tue Apr 17 2012 at 7:21 AM

I used to get car sick riding from New Castle to Pittsburgh from the smell. And, what’s with the pineapple?

7. Margot says:
    Tue Apr 17 2012 at 9:06 AM

Love these pics!

Tue Apr 17 2012 at 10:10 AM

Lol sorry guys. The pineapple is really a long story that doesn’t directly involve me, so I probably couldn’t even tell it right. I just know we had that thing hiding under the table for most of the night.

9. Marci says:
    Tue Apr 17 2012 at 10:24 AM

The pineapple was a drunken frat party joke…a friend used to go around poking girls with the pineapple top and saying it was a fertility pineapple and now you would get pregnant…girls didn’t appreciate it, but it was hilarious. Since apparently kids are the next step after marriage, he brought it to the wedding.

The pics look great Stan! Hope you had an amazing time, we were happy to have you and Andy there. And I get the good/not-so-good thing…but I sorta feel that way about every place I’ve lived. If I dont have good and bad memories from the place I havent really LIVED there, ykno?

10. Juliann says:
    Tue Apr 17 2012 at 10:25 AM

I know how you feel about revisiting your alma mater AND that time in your life. It’s familiar yet strange at the same time. My husband and I met at UC and we love to go back down there, but it’s just not the same.

Tue Apr 17 2012 at 10:32 AM

Marci-
    Good point. Very good point.

And no worries, we did have an AMAZING time at your wedding. I teared up going through all the pics and video! I can’t to see what the professional team got. :)

(And btw, I could have written a novella to you and Teo about all our times together, but I decided to spare y’all. :P)

Juliann-
    Aww!

Tue Apr 17 2012 at 5:26 PM

It is weird going back somewhere that you lived as you were forming yourself. I think the weirdness comes, not so much from the place, but from seeing the ghost of your former self walking around–and you know what’s in store for her.

13. Carol says:
    Tue Apr 17 2012 at 6:16 PM

Kinda unique. pineapple? hmm this is very intriguing post but I love it!

Wed Apr 18 2012 at 1:01 PM

Sonje-
    That’s a good point/perspective too. I kind of like thinking of it that way.

Carol-
    Thanks!

15. hena tayeb says:
    Thu Apr 19 2012 at 10:37 AM

hmmm.. I’m intrigued.. reminds my of an episode of How I Met Your Mother and the mystery of the pineapple.

16. Adam says:
    Thu Apr 19 2012 at 10:30 PM

Congratulations to Marci and Teo! It is always interesting knowing people before they meet!

Is the toonseum new?

Fri Apr 20 2012 at 7:31 AM

hena-
    I kept thinking about HIMYM too!

Adam-
    From when we were there, yes. They said they’ve been there for about 2 years.

18. Aisha says:
    Sun Apr 29 2012 at 7:35 PM

That is a really cute pic of you and Andy! :)

$1.99 at Amazon, B&N, iTunes, Sony, Kobo, Smashwords