Thu Sep 27 2012

Lost in translation

never going to get it all

filed Reading/WritingtagsTags:
  1. Laura says:
    Thu Sep 27 2012 at 5:17 PM

Truth.

Thu Sep 27 2012 at 5:30 PM

I totally need to print this out and keep it on my desk as a reminder while I edit!

3. Juliann Wetz says:
    Fri Sep 28 2012 at 10:48 AM

So true!

4. Rachele Alpine says:
    Fri Sep 28 2012 at 3:18 PM

I LOVE this! I need to print this out too!

5. kaye (paper reader) says:
    Fri Sep 28 2012 at 4:28 PM

I have post-its on the edge of my computer (a lot have fallen off, but I have them there anyhow) with things to think about while writing (or while despairing why I can’t write ALL THE THINGS) and this is one to add, absolutely.

Sat Sep 29 2012 at 2:52 PM

I have post-its and reminders around sometimes too! In my journals, on my walls, on my desktop, etc. Somehow there are never enough though. :P

7. Julia says:
    Sun Sep 30 2012 at 12:41 PM

Okay, so I have this rather odd concept about the brain. It’s this: the brain is like a sponge. It soaks up things, and then when you squeeze, it spits them out again. And you go through different phases at different times. Sometimes you’re in the soak phase, – most of childhood, during research, traveling, etc. Sometimes you’re in the squeeze phase – when actually writing, drunken lectures, debriefing with colleagues, etc. But like a sponge, no matter how hard you squeeze, it stays moist. The only way to get every bit of moisture out of a sponge is to not use it for a while. Which, I have determined, when applied to the brain, is a bad thing.

Mon Oct 1 2012 at 12:03 PM

That’s an excellent metaphor, Julia. And lately I’ve felt very much like a sponge — even telling a few folks that I was in a “sponging phase” — so it really resonates with me right now. :)