Mon Oct 1 2012

Let’s talk television

In addition to the gorgeous colors and amazing weather, autumn brings back two of my favorite things: football and television shows. All my must-watch series are back — and crazier than ever!

(Except for So You Think You Can Dance, which airs during the summer and is wonderfully low on crazy.)

Unfortunately, the networks have some misconceptions about their demographics, so they think it’s okay to show Grey’s Anatomy, Scandal, and Revenge at the same time as the football games. Wrong, networks. WRONG. I know at least 3 other females, ages 25-40, who love those shows AND love football, and you’re killing us with this Sophie’s Choice-style dilemma every week!

Thankfully we live in the era of DVR, Primetime on Demand, and the internet, so I can catch up on the latest episodes during my lunch breaks.

Now, lest you think I’m wasting my time being a couch potato all week, I’ll have you know that I learn a LOT about character and storytelling from these shows. (No, seriously.) And actually, I learn quite a bit about character and storytelling from football too — but that’s another post for another day.

Anyway, I don’t want to turn my blog into a television recap center, but I do love gushing trashing thoughtfully discussing my favorite shows with other fans. So be on the lookout for “TV Talk” posts in the future. As always, there will likely be a writerly focus to these posts, since that is inevitably the lens through which I view the world.

Currently I watch Grey’s Anatomy, Scandal, Revenge, and Nikita, but who knows what other randomness might show up. (Ex: I watched the pilot of the Mob Doctor the other day, and I have thoughts.) I also love How I Met Your Mother, but I’m a season behind and waiting on Netflix to help me catch up. And HBO’s Girls doesn’t come back till January, I think.

Because people tend to lose their shit over spoilers, I will do my best not to include any, or at least to preface/hide them in some fashion. But I’m not perfect and I make no guarantees — especially regarding the comments area.

(Tip: If you really don’t want to be spoiled, then watch live!)

Hopefully this is a fun idea and will turn into a forum for talking about great TV, regardless of whether we all watch the same shows or not. But if this turns out to be a bad idea and it peters out? Well, that’s not the end of the world. My one concern is that I’ll start thinking, “Oh, I have to come up with an angle to blog about,” instead of just watching and relaxing. If that does happen, be aware: this feature will disappear faster than the replacement refs after their controversial Monday night call.

filed RandomtagsTags:
  1. Laura says:
    Mon Oct 1 2012 at 8:09 PM

Okay, if we’re going to talk about television, I feel an obligation to mention the BBC show Sherlock. I don’t know if you’ve heard of it, but basically it’s a modern day version of Sherlock Holmes, and it is MIND-BLOWING-LY AMAZING. Seriously. I didn’t really care about the Homes stories until I started watching this show. The episodes are an hour and a half long, and there are only 3 episodes per season, but trust me, together they are the most ingenious, suspenseful, heart wrenching 9 hours of television you will ever watch. Plus, both seasons are finally on Netflix! So yeah, that’s my suggestion. I don’t really keep up with any of the shows you mentioned, but I will definitely look into them. I need something to take my mind off Sherlock while I wait for season 3! :)

Mon Oct 1 2012 at 9:40 PM

You know, Sarah and Steph (2 of my crit partners) LOVE Sherlock. I have to admit, I have a hard time jumping on board with things that are hugely hyped (Sherlock, Downton Abbey, etc.) — at least until the hype has died down a bit — but you guys are so enthusiastic I may have to check it out anyway. Esp since it’s on Netflix! ;)

3. Marci says:
    Tue Oct 2 2012 at 11:09 AM

uuugh I hate that those shows overlap football. Missed Revenge to watch the Eagles game.

Also Sherlock is amazing Stan. Watch it. We watched it all, and I want to re-watch so badly because it’s that good.

Tue Oct 2 2012 at 11:23 AM

Dude, you too? Wow… All right, all right, you guys got me. I’m adding it to Netflix RIGHT NOW. (Seriously.)

Tue Oct 2 2012 at 2:15 PM

Will these posts include a section on how Grey’s Anatomy makes us cry so much that our tear ducts are going to start protesting?

Tue Oct 2 2012 at 2:47 PM

Lol yeah I have no doubt that will come up at some point.

Tue Oct 2 2012 at 4:34 PM

Yeah, wtf with Thursday night? There’s football AND Grey’s Anatomy AND Glee AND The Office/Parks & Rec in the 9pm-10pm EST timeslot! WTF!

Tue Oct 2 2012 at 9:41 PM

Lol yep, you are included in that “at least 3 other females.” (So is Marci, actually.)

Tue Oct 2 2012 at 10:40 PM

I don’t watch a lot of TV these days (and I was not as enthused about Sherlock as everybody else sems to be :-) ) but I have certainly learned a lot about character and storytelling from TV and movies, and old-time radio shows. In fact, if you’re going to write serial fiction, where else are you going to learn but from TV and radio drama?

Tue Oct 2 2012 at 10:44 PM

Oh, forgot to mention, ew’ve been talking about this over at Farah’s blog as well: http://tinyurl.com/8gdauz6

Fri Oct 5 2012 at 12:30 AM

I don’t watch any of the same shows you do, but I LOVE talking about TV! I’m currently watching Dexter, love Breaking Bad (finished), just finished Season Two of Damages on Netflix (best show ever, well after The Wire and Breaking Bad and a few others), loved The Killing, can’t wait for Downton Abbey to start again, love Mad Men, and am feeling lukewarm about this season’s Walking Dead. Phew!

Fri Oct 5 2012 at 12:38 PM

Meghan-
    Breaking Bad and Downton Abbey on in my Netflix queue! I just started Friday Night Lights too. So like I said, haha, who knows what randomness will pop up in these posts. :P