Fri Dec 14 2012

All the more frightening

From Honest Illusions by Nora Roberts:

“People tell their children there are no monsters in the world. They tell them that because they believe it, or they want the child to feel safe. But there are monsters… all the more frightening because they look like people.”

filed Reading/WritingtagsTags: ,
    Fri Dec 14 2012 at 8:18 PM

And mostly they don’t think of themselves as monsters. In their versions of the story, they’re the heroes.

2. Julia says:
    Fri Dec 14 2012 at 10:36 PM

Very little makes me cry, but today I find I cannot stop.

Fri Dec 14 2012 at 10:38 PM

Anthony-
    True. We’re all the heroes of our own lives/stories, after all.

Julia-
    Well, I cry pretty easily, but I too have been unable to stop today. And every time I think I’ve pulled myself together, my imagination finds a way to prove me wrong.

Sat Dec 15 2012 at 7:46 AM

This is horrific beyond words. I barely slept at all last night – just kept waking up and thinking about those poor babies. Such a tragedy.

Sat Dec 15 2012 at 10:54 AM

Oh, Shari… I’m sorry you had such a tough night. I worried that I’d do the same thing, but I think I was so exhausted from crying on-and-off the whole day that my body just konked out.

6. Juliann Wetz says:
    Sat Dec 15 2012 at 5:13 PM

This was the perfect sentiment to share. Everything else just seems so trivial right now, doesn’t it?

Sun Dec 16 2012 at 9:51 PM

Strangely, through the lens of this tragedy, most things have become very trivial, while others have become absolutely essential.