Thu Jun 27 2013

Tales from Botswana: An introduction

For years Andy and I have talked about going on safari in Africa. Two weeks ago we actually did it.

Screen shot 2013-06-27 at 4.44.56 PM

Here’s an overview of our trip:

Screen shot 2013-06-27 at 4.45.01 PM

Over the course of our travels, I read 2 books, 2 short stories, and several articles. I watched Cloud Atlas, Prometheus, The Hobbit, and This Is 40. I learned a handful of words in French and Setswana. I took roughly 2,000 photos. I journaled every night. I watched the sun rise and set each day. I ate probably more PB&J than I did throughout my entire childhood. I broke my glasses, and I had French toast stolen off my plate by a monkey.

safari3

It was, as you can imagine, an amazing experience, and I’m looking forward to sharing more of it here, both in images and words.

Friend and author Jamie Ford happened to be in Africa at the same time, although in a different country and for a different reason. You can read about his family’s experiences in Tanzania on his blog, and I especially recommend his “passing thoughts on poverty,” as they echo some of the things I saw and thought during my trip.

filed Personal
  1. T. S. Bazelli says:
    Thu Jun 27 2013 at 5:48 PM

Welcome back! I look forward to seeing some of those 2000 pics :)

2. linda says:
    Thu Jun 27 2013 at 8:48 PM

wow, that sounds like an AMAZING experience! :D can’t wait to hear more, and particularly see some photos of all those animals!

Thu Jun 27 2013 at 9:00 PM

Welcome home! What an incredible experience it sounds like you had. You ARE going to share the story about the monkey stealing your French toast, right? :) Looking forward to hearing – and seeing – more!

4. Rachele Alpine says:
    Fri Jun 28 2013 at 8:57 AM

Wowsers! Sounds amazing! I can’t wait to hear more about it and see pictures!

5. Trisha says:
    Fri Jun 28 2013 at 9:13 AM

Wow! What a trip!

6. Jonathan says:
    Fri Jun 28 2013 at 9:28 AM

Holy Cow! Your french toast was stolen by a monkey? Must. Hear. More.

7. Juliann says:
    Fri Jun 28 2013 at 6:53 PM

Kristan, this sounds incredible! I can’t wait to hear more. I’ve never quite decided whether I want to go on safari or not, but I have a feeling your posts will convince me that I do. :) It sounds amazing.

8. Aisha Farhoud (@nerd4live) says:
    Sat Jun 29 2013 at 3:48 PM

Awesome! I’m glad you guys were able to take the trip this year! :)

Mon Jul 1 2013 at 8:21 PM

Lol I wasn’t planning to go into further detail about the breakfast-snatching monkey, but I may have to bow to popular demand…

Pics coming for sure!