Fri Oct 4 2013

Pursuing dreams

After college, I immediately started working as an account manager at a design firm, where everyone was insanely talented and stylish. (If you’ve worked in the commercial arts, you probably know what I’m talking about.) One of my coworkers there was Emily Mavridoglou, who I would sum up as elegant, colorful, and kind. Eventually we both left the company, and now we’re each pursuing our lifelong dreams. Mine, to write novels. Hers, to design custom stationery.

She’s just starting out, but already she has created so many wonderful designs for people. Thank you cards, wedding invites, birth announcements, and more. I really like how she brings beauty to these communications, making them more personal. Custom stationery is truly “social media,” in a sense. And there’s something to it that can’t be replicated in an e-vite or a Facebook update.

You can learn more about Emily and her work at Dorothy Jane Design.

You can also learn more about me over on Emily’s blog, where she is hosting a series of interviews with creative friends who are pursuing their dreams. I’m honored to be included. In my interview I talk about the biggest lessons I’ve learned so far, what inspires me, and where I work.

Oh, and Riley makes a cameo! (Two, if you count doodles.)

filed Random
    Fri Oct 4 2013 at 1:54 PM

Thanks for letting us know about Emily! If I ever need customized stationery, I will contact her. Her designs are really beautiful.

Fri Oct 4 2013 at 8:25 PM

Mistakes indeed. Robert Altman always said that what he was looking for in making his movies was the little things that were never in the script but just happened, the moments that looked like real human behavior. That’s why I always think it’s good to leave a lot of leeway in the plot, so the characters can improv a bit. :-)

3. mandy says:
    Sat Oct 5 2013 at 6:12 AM

Her designs are beautiful, I saved her shop to keep in mind for wedding invites :) Thanks for sharing!

4. Jonathan says:
    Sun Oct 6 2013 at 10:28 PM

Thanks for the links. Your friend is doing wonderful work. I love the Minnesota cards!

5. Tuere Morton / YA Author says:
    Mon Oct 7 2013 at 6:15 AM

LOVE her designs! I think one the best parts about knowing creative ppl is sharing in their dreams. I’ll definitely keep her stationary in mind. Thanks! :)

Mon Oct 7 2013 at 9:48 AM

Glad you guys like her stuff so much!