Wed Dec 18 2013

Stuff worth reading

“How to Give Up Writing and Your Dreams, in 1826 Daily Lessons” by Lori Rader-Day

In my experience, that dark moment — that black hour, if you’ll forgive me — isn’t a lightning strike. It’s a slow dwindling of your attention, one decision after another over a series of days, then weeks, then months. Even years. And these decisions aren’t even bad ones. You choose your loved ones, your job, your daily survival and comfort and enjoyment — until the small voice nagging that you should have written today stops saying a word.

We can’t cherry-pick the moments that got us where we are happy to be. We contain our successes, but also our failures.

“The Documented Life” by Sherry Turkle

When you get accustomed to a life of stops and starts, you get less accustomed to reflecting on where you are and what you are thinking.

These days, when people are alone, or feel a moment of boredom, they tend to reach for a device. In a movie theater, at a stop sign, at the checkout line at a supermarket and, yes, at a memorial service, reaching for a device becomes so natural that we start to forget that there is a reason, a good reason, to sit still with our thoughts: It does honor to what we are thinking about. It does honor to ourselves.

“On Feminism, Anti-Feminism, and the Things That Mystify Me” by Kelly Barnhill

I honestly can’t understand how we can be in this world and not be feminist. How can we just not notice inequality and injustice when it is staring us in the dang face? How can we not come up against the blindness of privilege and not want to change? How can we not desire to open our eyes? All social justice movements, in the end, work to remove shadows and blocks. We cannot see injustice if the limits of privilege block the view. If we remove the block we can see unfairness and we can change the world and make it better. Those blocks are removed through experience, through awareness-raising, and, probably most effectively, through story. Story matters.

filed Reading/WritingtagsTags: , ,
  1. T. S. Bazelli says:
    Wed Dec 18 2013 at 5:04 PM

Good links as always. I particularly loved this line of the last “My books have strong women in them. And unpleasant women. And broken women. My books have strong men in them. And unpleasant men. And broken men. Because all of us are strong, and unpleasant, and broken. Sometimes we are all of these things at once.” Very true.

Wed Dec 18 2013 at 5:57 PM

Yes! I loved that line too. And I’m glad you enjoy the links! (Because I’m never quite sure if people do, haha.)

Thu Dec 19 2013 at 8:46 AM

That one about the devices is so true – and so sad. It kinda makes me grateful that I don’t have a smartphone, because when I leave the house I can almost be disconnected in a way. Sometimes it’s important to just let it be, you know?

Also: “Story matters.” LOVE THAT.

Thu Dec 19 2013 at 9:21 AM

I don’t have a smartphone either! We must be like two of the last people (under 65) on the planet, haha.

Thu Dec 19 2013 at 9:35 AM

It wouldn’t surprise me! I have a grandfathered in text/data plan from years ago, and I simply can’t justify spending the extra $25 a month that’s required for the smartphone data plans. As long as I can make calls, text, and check email on my phone (not Gmail, though, because I’ve had the phone so long I guess Gmail wasn’t popular then — though I actually like this, because it means I can’t check my querying account when I’m away from the house), I’m good!

Thu Dec 19 2013 at 9:37 AM

I only have talk and text, no web or email on my phone. But I do have an iPad mini with a data plan, so I can “cheat” and connect that way. ;P

7. Browsing the Atlas says:
    Tue Dec 24 2013 at 7:53 AM

Another great list. Thanks for sharing these.