Mon Jul 14 2014

Stuff worth reading

“A Letter to Aspiring-Writer-Me from Debut-Novelist-Me” by Natalia Sylvester

Looking back, the moments you’re most proud of won’t be your big successes; they’ll be your biggest failures, and the fact that you kept going in spite of them.

Your book may be your whole world, but to the whole world it is a book.

“On Marriage :: A Year Later” by Lisa Congdon

I will do everything in my power to protect this person from pain, comfort this person in her grief, love this person with every bone of my body, honor this person in every way possible, and to be absolutely truthful to this person.

“For Love or Money (And If You Do It Right, BOTH): Choosing a Career in Art” by Greg Ruth

Value what you do, and fight for its value. If you don’t do this then how can anyone else? Don’t wait hidden in some ancient cave like a treasure to be discovered one day, get out there and make yourself present and get discovered. That said, you don’t need to be a dumbass about it. There is a tangible difference between ego and self-worth. Fighting for a better page rate reasonably is different than refusing to do a book tour unless you get a limo. Being an artist is a natural declaration of hubris, and you will be reminded of this by friends and family more than you’d like. Don’t take it too seriously, but don’t undervalue it either. It matters because it matters to you — it doesn’t need to matter to a million others to have value.

filed Personal, Reading/WritingtagsTags: ,
  1. Melissa says:
    Mon Jul 14 2014 at 10:10 AM

3 great thoughts on the annivesary of my wedding, the launch of my Writing Circles business, and the recent decision to pursue an art I love over a job I might be good at, but doesn’t light me up. Great timing Kristan, you’ve hit the big ideas on the head here today. Thanks!

Mon Jul 14 2014 at 2:43 PM

I’m so glad that these were all so relevant to you! Congrats on your anniversary, and good luck with your new business endeavors!

Mon Jul 14 2014 at 4:22 PM

Oh, I ADORE Natalia’s post!!

4. Melissa says:
    Tue Jul 15 2014 at 11:43 AM

Thanks! Serendipity is always a good sign.

5. Natalia Sylvester (@NataliaSylv) says:
    Thu Jul 17 2014 at 1:54 PM

I love the ” natural declaration of hubris” perspective. I hadn’t thought of it like that, but it makes sense (and explains why I’m often so uncomfortable by parts of the promo process). Thanks for including me, too!

6. Natalia Sylvester (@NataliaSylv) says: