Last month, I made a spur-of-the-moment decision to go see Jennifer Weiner at Joseph-Beth Booksellers. I needed a little pick-me-up, and there’s something so inspiring about watching an author interact with her fans. Especially when the author is as smart, funny, and genuine as Jennifer.
- “I think it would probably be easier to get my books made into movies if they were about skinny women falling in love … but that’s just not what speaks to me.”
- She writes to explore topics and themes, not promote a specific viewpoint.
- That said, feminism definitely informs her characters. They live “realized feminist lives” — with choices — and those choices have consequences.
- “We live in a world where, if you’re a woman who expresses a strong opinion, there are 3 possible responses:
(1) I agree.
(2) I disagree.
(3) You should be raped and murdered.”
- Someone asked Jennifer when she felt that she had “made it.” She said it wasn’t when she got a book deal, or a starred review, or even when she hit the bestseller list. It was when she championed Sarah Pekkanen’s debut and helped Sarah hit the bestseller list. Jennifer said she felt her own success most strongly when she helped others achieve their dreams.
- “To be a writer, you have to have thick skin, but you also have to be exquisitely sensitive.”
- Last but not least…
— Kristan Hoffman (@kristanhoffman) June 25, 2014