Fri Oct 16 2009

What you can do for the blogger you love

A recent conversation with my mom about why my friends don’t love me comment on my blog got me thinking about the various ways blog readers interact with the blogs/bloggers they love. Or don’t interact, in many cases.

Mostly I think people either don’t know what kinds of things make a difference, or else they are busy, lazy, and/or averse to putting themselves online. But really, supporting a blogger can be very quick, easy, and/or anonymous.

So, inspired by the post “If You Love a Writer,” I decided to create a short list of things that you can do to help a blogger you love.

I think that’s it… Is there anything else y’all can think of?

In my opinion, all of these things are a relatively low commitment. For those who prefer to limit their online presence, reading, subscribing, visiting, and clicking ads can all be done anonymously. Personally, I do all of these things for the blogs I love (though not necessarily for every post, of course) because I know what it’s like to be on the other side of the screen. I guess that’s my motto: “Do unto other bloggers as you would have them do unto you.”

Believe it or not, this was not intended to be a pathetic attempt to generate more activity on my blog. But hey, if that’s how it works out, I certainly won’t complain!

(And if that isn’t how it works out, it’s fine. I’m used to how things are now. And as for my mom, well, I’m sure she’ll forgive y’all someday.)

filed Random
Comments
  1. Angela says:
    Fri Oct 16 2009 at 11:02 AM

just curious- are you able to know if I subscribe to your blog? because I do. how does it make the site look good?

2. [F]oxymoron says:
    Fri Oct 16 2009 at 11:10 AM

I agree with most of what you said, EXCePT for the clicking on ads bit. I avoid ads like the plague.

And it’s weird.. most of my real life friends never read my blog. Ever.
    .-= • Recent post by [F]oxymoron: If Only You Could Say It So… =-.

Fri Oct 16 2009 at 11:23 AM

Nope, subscribing is anonymous. I can see how many subscribers I have, because I use Feedburner to create my RSS feed, but it doesn’t show any identifying names.

Subscriptions make a site “look good” (sorry, that might have been too vague a phrase) because an advertiser will usually ask how many visits and/or subscribers your site has to get a sense of how much exposure their ads will get. I think it also affects things like rankings in Google and Technorati.

Fri Oct 16 2009 at 11:27 AM

Heh, some ads are probably similar to the plague. :P

Sometimes I think not having friends/family read would be nice. Liberating, you know? But then again, I’ve gotten used to the feedback and support. :)

5. Tim says:
    Fri Oct 16 2009 at 12:42 PM

Inspired by the Orwellian notification from the entity known as facebook. I read your note about your blog and was then inspired to read your blog which contains your facebook note. But after escaping that infinite loop of technology, I was pleasantly not at all surprised by how good your writing is. It is at the same stellar place it has been since I met you. Keep up the always excellent work. And tell your mother I love you and this is her proof. Time stamped and all. She now has proof that some random ip address loves and supports her daughter’s art.

Fri Oct 16 2009 at 12:44 PM

Lol. Thanks, Tim. I’m still figuring out exactly what you just said, but I’m sure it’s awesome, just like you. ;D

7. Tim says:
    Fri Oct 16 2009 at 12:54 PM

’twas meant to be cryptic and overly written. As a reader, I want to show my love for my blogger by illustrating she has an intelligent and active audience.

but as an artist I agree with all of the points. They can help the artist in ways that the fan never dreamed possible. So, in the little way I could help, I figured I’d comment. Twice. I’m that good.

Also, I totally do naked cartwheels when I get a new view/play/internet comment. It makes me feel like I have real friends! :)

Fri Oct 16 2009 at 12:57 PM

Lol, yeah I was kidding. I mean, I did reread it to be sure I understood, but I still speak Dimond-ese. ;)

Naked cartwheels are the best! I mean, so I’ve heard…

9. Angie says:
    Fri Oct 16 2009 at 1:19 PM

LOL you have comments, I don’t! You get enough comments from me outside of your blog anyway :p
    .-= • Recent post by Angie: A sartorial moment, well top half anyway =-.

10. Margot says:
    Fri Oct 16 2009 at 1:27 PM

You always comment on my blog and I am VERY appreciative of that. Thanks K!

Fri Oct 16 2009 at 1:42 PM

Angie-
    Well, you don’t do as much to network/publicize JBU… And I’m never sure how much you really want me to.

Comments outside the blog are good for me (to know/improve), but my mom’s point/concern was that private comments don’t show anyone that my stories are popular.

I do appreciate your feedback, though. You know that. :)

Margot-
    No prob! And thanks for supporting me too!

12. Andy says:
    Fri Oct 16 2009 at 2:03 PM

Fri Oct 16 2009 at 2:04 PM

Angie-
    Oh, you do ALWAYS promote my stories and stuff via your Facebook! I just wanted you to know that always really makes my day. :)

Andy-
    Cookie bunny.

14. sam says:
    Fri Oct 16 2009 at 6:32 PM

I have a blog reader on my blackberry and keep up with all of my fave blogs daily, but unfortunately it is so much harder to write a comment using a phone than a laptop and my time at home is nearly non-existant! :( but do know that I read every post you make even if my voice is unheard! I will try to comment more often because your comments always make my day! :)
    .-= • Recent post by sam: BRR! =-.

Fri Oct 16 2009 at 7:10 PM

Aw, thanks, Sam! Yeah, I know smart phones and stuff can be a pain to type on. I’m really bad at it myself.

16. Trisha says:
    Fri Oct 16 2009 at 7:50 PM

trying to scrub the mental image of naked cartwheels…
    erase
    erase
    erase
    erase
    erase

Fri Oct 16 2009 at 7:54 PM

Lol. Sorry… Picture what Andy just said instead: “I think Kate Hudson is wearing a Snuggie!”

18. Trisha says:
    Fri Oct 16 2009 at 7:56 PM

Comment.

Great. Can’t wait to meet him. Hmmmm….invaded by ‘the rest’ of the Hoffmans. Pity the man.

19. DrZibbs says:
    Sun Oct 18 2009 at 5:09 PM

Just found your blog. Hello. I’m Dr Zibbs from the famous blog THAT BLUE YAK.
    .-= • Recent post by DrZibbs: Guess Who’s 83 Today? My Man Chuck Berry. Reelin and Rockin. =-.

Sun Oct 18 2009 at 7:51 PM

Howdy. :)

21. GingerMandy says:
    Mon Oct 19 2009 at 8:53 AM

i bet naked cartwheels are very liberating. i wonder how hard it would be to do a cartwheel in a snuggie? hmm.

you are an awesome blog commenter. i’m still working on that skill :p but i do make a point to click on your ads because you are doing lots of great things with your site and your writing!

Mon Oct 19 2009 at 8:55 AM

Snuggie cartwheels, HHMMMMMM… ;)

Thanks so much, Mandy!

23. Krista says:
    Tue Oct 20 2009 at 8:04 AM

i subscribe…so tell your mom not to cry, i didn’t know i wasn’t upsetting mothers around here. ;) i don’t comment very often because…wait for it…I’M LAZY! terribly, horribly, no-good lazypants, that’s me.

i mostly read blogs at work and one of my biggest problems is that most people use flickr for their photos (myself included!) and so i can’t see the pics in a blog…flickr is blocked here! so i will save it for later to comment on pictures (like your gorgeous NC pics), but then never get around to it. or the blogs are blocked…that’s the worst. because those poor people are commenting on every blog i write and all i can remember to do is stop by THEIR blog once a month and be like SORRY BLOCKED. i’m just a lazy person, period. ;)

Tue Oct 20 2009 at 8:17 AM