Tue Dec 27 2011

My favorite books of 2011

Note: I actually read Water for Elephants last year, but after I’d already posted my favorite books of 2010. I don’t think I’m at risk for that happening again this year.

In order of when I read them…

Water for Elephants Pegasus Loving Rachel: A Family's Journey from Grief The Book Thief
Jane Eyre  Something Blue (Darcy & Rachel, #2) Lips Touch: Three Times  The Eyre Affair (Thursday Next, #1)
The Sky Is Everywhere Room   Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #1)
Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace with Marriage Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother

filed Reading/Writing
  1. Jessica Baverstock says:
    Tue Dec 27 2011 at 8:36 PM

I LOVE the Eyre Affair, and I haven’t seen that cover before. Very cool. My favourite of that series is still The Well of Lost Plots.

Thanks for sharing your list. :)

Tue Dec 27 2011 at 8:52 PM

Love your choices! WFE is such a special book, and The Help, too. And, of course, I’m biased toward anything Emily writes :)

3. kaye (paper reader) says:
    Wed Dec 28 2011 at 10:43 AM

I really, really love these lists because I get to add even more to my TBR pile. I can’t wait to read Lips Touch, Pegasus, and The Book Thief. My YA + adult fiction overall list would look a lot different from my YA-only, I think.

4. Les says:
    Wed Dec 28 2011 at 10:53 AM

I’ve only read one of those but I see at least three more that are on my list. Unfortunately in the near future any/all reading time is going to be devoted to textbooks. Infinitely less fun.

Wed Dec 28 2011 at 1:00 PM

I’ve done a lot of writing this year (too much, I think), and since I don’t read fiction while I’m writing, I’ve read very little. A couple of the books on this list have been on my radar though, so hopefully I’ll get to them in 2012.

@Jessica, I agree: the Well of Lost Plots is the best of the series!

Wed Dec 28 2011 at 5:46 PM

I’m so ashamed I haven’t read more of these books! I am taking these as suggestions, though…

7. StoriesAndSweetPotatoes says:
    Thu Dec 29 2011 at 12:56 PM

I’m glad to hear you liked Committed. I’ve been wanting to read it but everyone tells me it’s so-so.

Thu Dec 29 2011 at 11:36 PM

Jessica and Sonje-
    I think the first is my favorite because it’s such a surprise (the book world and all that) and a fairly complete story. The rest of the series builds on that originality, but also sort of strings things (like Landon’s disappearance) along.

kaye-
    I really think you’ll love those 3!

StoriesAndSweetPotatoes-
    You know, it’s different from Eat Pray Love. It’s more like a brief look at the evolution of modern Western marriage, interspersed with personal anecdotes. Like a “girly” Malcolm Gladwell (although Elizabeth Gilbert isn’t really *that* girly). I really enjoyed it, though.

9. Jessica Baverstock says:
    Fri Dec 30 2011 at 1:15 AM

@Kristan – I never thought about that aspect of the series. Thanks for the insight. :)

10. Rachele Alpine says:
    Fri Dec 30 2011 at 11:20 AM

You read some good ones this year! ROOM and THE SKY IS EVERYWHERE are amazing reads! I have LIPS TOUCH THREE TIMES, so I’m going to need to find some time to read it soon!

11. Juliann Wetz says:
    Fri Dec 30 2011 at 6:11 PM

Thanks for sharing your list. I’m always looking for good book recommendations.

Sat Jan 14 2012 at 10:37 AM

I love your photo grid! I loved Room, The Book Thief, and Battle Hymn, but couldn’t get into Water for Elephants and haven’t read the others. Maybe someday I’ll give Water for Elephants another chance. I do want to see the movie!

Sat Jan 14 2012 at 5:39 PM

Meghan-
    I thought the movie was visually lovely. It’s definitely a good adaptation of the book, IMO. And the elephant! Oh she’s so gorgeous.