I really enjoy writing novels. It’s like the ocean. You can just build a boat and take off. I can’t understand why anybody would criticize anything that ends up being a novel because you’ve arrived to the other shore, you’ve made it alive. Maybe you started off for Africa and ended up in Spain, but so what?
– Denis Johnson, in an interview with the San Francisco Reader
I saw him speak at the Mercantile Library on Wed night. Despite the seriousness of his books, he was very funny and charming. To tell you the truth, after listening to and watching him for an hour, I felt a greater understanding for why women (supposedly) used to go nuts over famous writers. There’s a definite appeal to men who are talented, confident, witty, and don’t bullshit.
9 responses to “See you in Spain”
A writer who doesn’t bullshit?
• Twenty Four At Heart’s recent blog post: Zippity-Doo-Dah!
LOL touché… I guess his was genuine bullshit? Hahaha!
Yes. I think I wish I had Wonder Boys to watch tonight…
• Pseudo’s recent blog post: Noblesse Oblige
So you are from Houston? I am from Houston too.
• Thomas’s recent blog post: The Thomas Terence Charity Phở Run is No More
Great metaphor. Yay for traveling the world! Now if I only had the time to do it in person…
• RTW’s recent blog post: Beginning at the End
Yep, Houston born and raised! What a great coincidence.
I saw Denis Johnson at the Flair Symposium with Amy Tan!
• Angie’s recent blog post: Now this is what I call a bathroom
Oh seriously? What a cool coincidence. What did he talk about?
I don’t remember, haha. But my notes are in the moleskine I gave you!
• Angie’s recent blog post: What the eyes don’t see, the heart does grieve over