Writer's high

Urgh. I tried to write a funny post showing my train of thoughts from last night, but you know what? It wasn’t funny at all. And after those gut-busting Hyperbole and a Half links, I just can’t bear to fail at funny.

So here’s the deal: Monday I got squat done. Well, correction: I got a LOT done, but none of it was for me. Then last night I had the house to myself (Andy started a new class for his MBA program) and I decided to write from dinner until Life Unexpected. This was more or less how it went:

Yay let’s write!

Wait a minute, this is hard…

Wtf am I doing?

Crap, I guess I just have to try.

Well, maybe this isn’t so bad…

Hey, it’s been 2 hours, and I wrote 800 words, and they mostly don’t suck!

Writer’s high!

Honestly, it was the best feeling in the world, and I practically danced around the house all night. (Okay, in reality I sat on the couch with my dog and watched TV, but you know, same difference.) Anyway, I wish I could bottle that feeling and take a sip whenever I’m feeling “stuck,” but since I can’t, I’ll just have to come back to this post and focus on that last, museum-worthy image.

1. John says:

True story.

2. T.S. Bazelli says:

ROFL Right now I’m in the WTF am I doing stage!! I hope I make it to the next one hehe

3. Sonja says:

Writer’s high is indeed pretty damn good. I suspect that if we could get it whenever we wanted it, it wouldn’t be as good.

4. Sarah says:

LOVE it! 800 useable words is gold, but so is having fun doing something you were meant to do. One day at a time. I’m going to go write a few hundred, I think. Okay. I’m going.

Most amazing feeling in the world, isn’t it? There’s nothing like having that writer’s high that reminds you why you fell in love with the craft in the first place :-) And you know, I genuinely believe that passion comes shining through in the words. You can always tell when an author is absolutely loving their work.

So glad you had such a great time!!

6. krista says:

awesome! if you figure out how to bottle it, i’ll pay you a pretty penny for it. ;)

Nice illustrations! Of course, if you were a beat writer, I don’t think that would have been a totally innocent high..

Sonja-
    Hmm, you might have a point there…

Sarah-
    Doooo it! I haven’t read anything from you in a while (except the blog, which admittedly is fun)!

Krista-
    Oh Krista, I don’t know if I could sell it… (But maybe I’d be willing to slip a bit to my friends. ;))

Jon-
    Haha yeah, I’m like the squarest writer I know, beat or not.

9. Les says:

I’m stuck on “wait a minute, this is hard” hahah

10. Naomi says:

*looks at last picture*
    *runs off to write*
    Thanks for the inspiration :)

11. Joelle says:

Duuude..that is the best high. It’s been sooo long, I want it again, okay guess I have to write to get it. Going to go write. Really I am, well maybe….. :) Thanks for the post – I loved the giggle.

12. Scott says:

I just broke an all too long writing slump and it felt fantastic. The move had me so overwhelmed with unpacking and resettling that writing wasn’t even an option for a while. Felt good to get back in the saddle.

13. I love this! I know how you feel. Sometimes, even something simple like a short blog post takes me hours (like 5), but at the end I feel so rewarded.

Stumbled onto your blog today. Looking forward to reading more.

14. Albie says:

LOL, love the drawings :D wish i could draw… heck, wish i could color… =/

Les-
    I get stuck there all the time.

Naomi-
    Glad to help!

Joelle-
    Gooooo!

Scott-
    Glad you’re safely moved — AND back in the saddle! Sounds like good times. :)

Elizabeth-
    Haha, yeah, blogs aren’t as easy as they look. Mine probably take an average of 1 hr per post, but 5 hrs isn’t exactly uncommon either… Thanks for stopping by, I look forward to seeing you around. :)

Albie-
    Don’t worry about blogging or coloring just yet. (There probably aren’t plugins for that.) Just keep blogging!

16. Katie says:

I’ve been feeling that way a lot lately. If you find a way to bottle it, let me know!

Katie

17. Love your illustrations! I wish I could draw that cute!

Comments are closed.