Heart flutter

I’ve got to admit that I’ve been happier than I have been in a long time. And it’s not because I have deal prospects or whatever. It’s because I love what I’m writing, and my opinion is really the only one I can control. So I will write what I makes me smile, what make my heart flutter, what keeps me up at night with ideas and characters and dialogue.

– Natalie Whipple, “You’re the Artist — It’s Your Job to Write What You Love”

1. Sonja says:

Wait a second. Where is Kristan and what are you doing to her blog?

LOL what do you mean? That’s the realization that set me free 2 years ago, and the reason I believe in myself strongly enough to take a year off!

3. Sonja says:

I seem to remember many conversations with you about how much you want to get published, and while you love writing, the main goal has always been publication. The quote here seems to be eschewing that goal to some extent? Maybe I’m putting words in its mouth (paragraph LOL).

Oh, haha! I don’t know if I’d say I want to be published MORE than I love writing, BUT for me yes, the two go hand-in-hand.

As for Natalie, the larger post that I excerpted that from is about how we writers shouldn’t stress about our “brands.” It’s our job to write stories that we love, while it’s our agent’s job to figure out how to sell those stories. So she isn’t saying love the work to the exclusion of focusing on publication… But I can see how the quote I lifted could make it seem that way. :P

PS: At least, that’s my interpretation of Natalie’s post!! I don’t mean to speak for her.

6. Sonja says:

There’s the Kristan I know and love!

7. Les says:

I agree to an extent, because you can write a story you (and others) adore, but that won’t ever garner enough interest to be published. It’s a fine line. If you want to BE published, you have to make it a goal to write a book that is capable of BEING published.

8. Les says:

I forgot to add…. granted some of the stuff I see on the bestseller list now makes me shake my head. Famous people can get away with anything.

Sonja-
    Hee. I’m nothing if not… me?

Les-
    {nodnod}

(I have to admit, I can’t wait to be able to “get away with anything.” I mean, I still want to write AWESOME books, but I’d love to be able to write them without worrying about whether or not I can sell them.)

10. Sarah says:

I love that feeling. I write so that I feel it more often. Publishing? Makes me feel weak with so little control. Even so, I want it.

Haha. The weakness fades, don’t worry.

I love optimistic posts like this. There are so many downer posts about the struggles of writers, the demise of publishing, etc. It’s refreshing to read something uplifting for a change!

Comments are closed.