(Here’s the link for anyone who can’t see or play the embedded video.)
Update for people who are actually trying to learn how to make bubble tea: This process should work with any tapioca pearls. You do not necessarily need the kit pictured below, just tapioca bubbles and either tea or a fruit smoothie to put them in. Steps #2 and #3 are the key.
1. Buy a DIY bubble tea kit from Jungle Jim’s.
2. Boil water in a rice cooker. Add the bubbles in a 1:8 ratio (meaning 1 part bubbles, 8 parts water — you probably should have measured out the water before you started boiling it…) and let “cook” for 25 min. After 25 min, set the rice cooker on “keep warm” for another 25 min.
3. Drain the bubbles. Mix with brown sugar to sweeten.
4. Choose a flavor and pour the powder into the shaker.
5. Add water and ice as instructed. Shake thoroughly.
(Look how cute and happy the bubble man is!)
6. Pour into cup/glass. Add bubbles. Add big straw. Taste.
7. Say, “OMG THAT’S NOT BAD!” Pat yourself on the back. Oh, and keep drinking!
Between shopping for a casual men’s jacket, going to Discovery Green in the rain, catching up with Barbara (Alex’s Momma #1 and my Momma #2), and spending hours trying (unsuccessfully) to get our sailboat’s motor to start, I unfortunately did not find time to upload any photos on Friday. I am so sorry. Please accept these fireworks as a display of my never ending regret.
“Not good enough!” Andy says. “Actions speak louder than intentions, and you did not meet your deadline. Thus you have failed, and I banish you to that vine-like prison.”
“What vine-like prison?” I ask.
“THAT ONE,” he says, pointing.
“Oh,” I say.
“Wait, this one’s prettier!” my mom chimes in.
“Hey! Whose side are you on?” I ask.
She takes a moment to consider her answer.
“Andy’s,” she finally replies.
“Oh,” I say.
And so it was that I came to be jailed by my mom and boyfriend in a giant red claw. Or something.